Friday, December 15, 2006

Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies


I have been making these cookies since I was a kid. I literally do not remember a Christmas that we did not make these cookies. I loved them when I was little and my kids love them now. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to roll them into balls and roll them in the sugar. I remember unwrapping all the candy kisses with my sisters and brother. It never failed that at some point you would start putting the wrappers in the candy dish and the candy in the wrapper dish and go - duhhh... I got that backwards! I am still using the rickety, barely staying together cookbook my sister made when she was in grade school. I have thought about typing up my own recipe paper, but then it wouldn't feel like "home". I like taking that cookbook out of the drawer and remembering how my mom taught me to bake. This is not a picture of my cookies - I borrowed it from google images. I am going to make some batter tonight and then we will cook some fresh tomorrow for a few gatherings we are going to. Enjoy!


Peanut Butter Blossoms

1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 unbeaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
hershey kisses

Blend flour, soda, and salt. Cream butter and peanut butter, gradually add sugar, creaming well. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Blend in dry ingredients, mix thoroughly. Form into balls using one teaspoon dough for each. Roll balls in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and place a chocolate kiss on top of each cookie, pressing down firmly so that cookie cracks around the edge. Return cookies to oven and bake for 2 to 5 minutes longer, until golden brown. I always double the batch because these cookies go fast!

No comments: