Friday, July 20, 2007

Counting down to Harry Potter...


Yes, I am a self proclaimed Harry Potter junkie. It all started with a free book from Smarterkids.com way back in 1999. They were sending out a free copy of the first Harry Potter book with each order. I hadn't really heard of it at the time. I read the back cover and decided that Timmy may like it. At the time, he was in 5th grade. It was our first year of homeschooling and he hated reading. He was intimidated by reading. I had decided to read all of our books together that year. He would read one page and then I would read 2 or 3 pages. It helped him to get over the fear of reading an ENTIRE book. I slipped the book into his stocking and I even have him on video saying, "Harry Porker, what's this?" I corrected him. He really wishes that was not on video tape. After Christmas break we sat down to read. I had no idea what to expect. We were hooked! Even Savannah sat and listened. She was only 2! We read each of the books aloud over the year. I will say this - these books - are my favorite memories of homeschooling Timmy. It didn't matter how much he was whining over his writing assignments or struggling with math or whatever. When we sat down to read, we were happy. Now the last book is here. I am excited and sad all at the same time. Timmy is 18 now and barely ever home. I would never be able to get him to sit and listen to me read 800 pages! He has already said he is going to read it himself. I could still read it aloud to Savannah, but I just want to read it all before somebody leaks all the good stuff. So, my plan is to read and read and read as much as I can over the next few days. If I didn't have a toddler, I would probably completely neglect my family. I would get some good snack food and read. Unfortunately, I have a toddler who will not TOLERATE being NEGLECTED! I will have to read as much as I can while he is awake and then read even more while he is sleeping. And since I am here and talking about Harry... and since this is MY BLOG and I can write whatever comes to MY MIND... I don't get the whole Harry Potter is not for Christians to read thing. Don't get it, won't get, will never get it. If you don't like ANY magic and don't read or watch ANY magic, then... hey... Harry Potter isn't for you. If you watched or read Lord of the Rings or Narnia - HELLO??? Did you happen to notice all of the magic and good vs. evil? Ummm... don't knock Harry until you have really looked at all the other things that you watch or read with magic. Also, ummm... none of my children have tried to ride a broom or place a spell on me yet. I don't think I have damaged them. Actually, I am pretty sure reading Harry Potter with my son was one of the best school decisions I have ever made. Okay, I am off of my soap box now. Now, what should I do for the next 7 hours while I wait to go get my book?

No comments: