Friday, September 26, 2008

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.

Does anyone know how much the average preschooler talks in a day? I didn't google to see if there was actually information on this one. Maybe I should. Sebastian is going to be 4 on Tuesday. I took him off of his nap schedule about 2 months ago. We got rid of his pacifier. He is now awake from about 7:30 to 8pm each day. I am with him about 12 hours out of that 12.5 hours. He is busy and busy and did I say busy? I really LOVE that he now goes to bed around 8pm if I can get myself in gear to get him there. I like that he pretty much just goes to sleep and doesn't make me walk up the stairs 300 times to get him just one more thing. So... what is this post about? I seriously think that this child wakes up in the morning and just starts talking and talking and talking ALL. DAY. LONG. I don't know how many times a day I say shhhh... I was writing a letter to Timmy. Sebastian was standing right next to me as in he kept stepping on my feet - he was so close. He HAD. TO. KNOW. WHAT. I. WAS. TYPING. He talked nonstop. I don't know if you are like this, but I will type what I hear or what I am saying if I happen to be talking at the same time. At some point during this time, I found that I had completely blocked out what he was saying. I could hear the noise, but not the actual words. That reminded me of a time when my sister-in-law, Jessica, was living with us. She was in the car with me once and she mentioned that I only listen to half of everything people say. I stopped and thought about it for a minute. I told her that was very, very true. Then I explained to her that my children (Timmy and Savannah at the time) talked to me ALL. DAY. LONG. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. They wake up in the morning and they start talking. They eat breakfast and they talk between bites. They do their school with me and that requires talking. They ask me what they can eat for lunch and they keep talking. We do stuff in the afternoon and they are talking. They help me make dinner and they are talking. We sit down to watch a tv show and they are talking. I tell them to go take a shower and they tell me they just took a shower 2 weeks ago. They keep talking about the reasons they don't need a shower. I tell them to brush their teeth and they tell me why they no longer like the toothpaste that they were rolling around the aisle in the store - begging for. I tell them it is time for bed and they continue to TALK about anything they can possibly think of to maybe stall their bedtime. Please don't think I am complaining. Okay, maybe I am a little. I love my kids. I love what I do. I love that I am the person they talk to during breakfast, lunch and dinner. I love that I have the opportunity to teach them school and skills and so many other things. Even though I love this, sometimes, my brain just has to NOT. LISTEN. TO. HALF. OF. EVERYTHING. THEY. SAY. I just don't think my brain could take it all in and not explode. Again, I know I am beyond blessed that my children are healthy and can express themselves. I thank God for them all the time. I also pray to God that he will give me just 5 minutes of quiet time each day or I may run away screaming! BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.

No comments: