Thursday, September 11, 2008

We remember...


I still remember very clearly where I was and what I was doing when I saw the planes hit. I had woken up a little later that morning because I didn't have to go straight to work. I had to take my sister, Michelle, the catch her flight to Chicago. I woke up and turned on The Today Show as I was going to go jump in the shower. I was in the bathroom and could tell something was wrong with the way the anchors were talking. I came back out to my bedroom and sat on the edge of my bed. I watched and with horror saw the tower get hit. My stomach felt ill. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like all the sound had been sucked from the room. I just sat there and watched and then I cried. I went to the phone and called my mom. I told her that Michelle couldn't get on a plane to Chicago. She was watching too. We were quiet. I spent the next couple of hours just watching and waiting. I finally got myself together as much as I could and I went to work. The place had an odd silence with hushed voices here and there. I went to my very good friend and boss. She told me to go home and be with my kids. I told her I needed to stay for awhile. I needed some quiet time to process what had happened. My kids were 12 and 2 at the time. Savannah had no idea what was happening. Timmy knew, but I don't know how much he processed. During the next few months and into the next year, I knew that the war was coming. I wanted it to come. HOW DARE THEY ATTACK US!!! I was angry, but I had fear. I knew that people would die. I knew that people were sending their husbands, wives, sons, daughters, and grandchildren. I remember thinking I was glad Timmy was only 12 years old. Too young to go to war. I could keep them safe in our home. I was mopping the floor the day they announced the air strikes had started. I sat down and prayed. I prayed for safety for our military and knowledge for our leaders. I prayed for this to come to a swift end. Here we are 7 years later and it is far from ending. Now my little boy is old enough to go to war. He is training right this very minute to go to war. My fear is immense. My emotions are high. I had respect for those families back then, but now that I begin my walk in their shoes... my respect has grown. I am at the very beginning of this journey. They have walked it for so much longer than I. Today, I am remembering the lost and the people that give so much for my freedom. My freedom to teach creation science around my kitchen table. My freedom to wear my Happy Halloween shirt today. My freedom to go out to lunch with my mom, sister and kids. My freedom to make choices. My son's freedom to choose to be a soldier. My son's freedom to be a soldier. Today, I remember and continue to pray for the military and their families.

No comments: